Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Silent Protest

    I see them everywhere, at any shopping centre that I know. There's one at least outside every shop that sells women's clothing. Standing erect, back turned towards the store window just a step away from the entrance. Both arms stretched down, hands folded patiently in front of them, or holding a bag containing things from a previously visited shop. Invariably their eyes have this glazed, suffering looked.  These are men who's wife, or girlfriend, is inside the store, looking for clothes.
    Just before christmas I was at the heart of my country's capital. In a street just full of clothing stores. And yes, on both sides of the street, an equally long line of waitng men. A Guard of Honour.Though I doubt that they truly  intended to participate in that.
    What does it mean, that stoic waiting outside a store? Not being a man, I'm afraid I would jump to biased conclusions, so I'm trying not to answer the question myself.

    I was musing about it during the shopping trip, when my son and I took a turn into a smaller street, away from the center. There they were, a mother and a daughter outside a mobile phone store. The mother shouted to some people in the store "Come on, please don't take too long.". When I walked by the store I saw a grown men and two boys inside. Outside his wife took position: standing erect, back turned towards the store window just a step away from the entrance. Both arms stretched down, hands folded patiently in front of her.
    This situation I could understand, and I knew I hadn't made any mistaken assumptions.



    My dear men, if you are really trying to discourage your partner while she's shopping for clothes, you are doing it all wrong. My son just keeps trailing after me, into every store. Sometimes mumbling, other times ostensively quiet. But never more than three feet away from me. It irritates me so much that I just wish he was standing outside, standing erect, his back turned to the store window.




No comments:

Post a Comment